Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Egyptian Winged Sun Disc





A couple of weeks a go I got the itch to get another tattoo. I have had a design in mind and just need to find an artist that can bring it to life. Here is the closes design I could find that I want to work with. Except I want a pyramid around the sun and the wings to not be so close to the sun. Someone asked me what it meant and my darn memory couldn't remember anything except that it is a protection symbol. So I looked it up and found all this cool info:


In the book Practical Egyptian Magic by Murray Hope it is said about this symbol and its use in Egypt:
Emblematic of the element of air, this consists of a circle or solar-type disk enclosed by a pair of wings. In ritual magic it is suspended over the alter in an easterly direction and used when invoking the protection and co-operation of the sylphs. [1]
A Masonic reference work describes it this way:
... the Winged-Disk, with the Uraei of Egypt, the original of which we find in the text summarized by Naville in the "Myths of Horus," pII. xii. ff.:&endash; "horus commanded Thoth that the Winged-Sun-Disk, with Uraei, should be brought into every sanctuary wherein he dwelt, and into every sanctuary of all the gods of the lands of the South and the North, and in Amentet, in order that they might drive away evil from therein...." This is what is meant by the Winged-Disks, with the Uraei, which are seen over the entrances of the courts of the temples of all the gods and goddesses of Egypt. [2]
Other occultic groups lay claim to the symbol and its use. A Rosicrucian reference work says this:
The Winged Globe is pre-eminently a Rosicrucian symbol, although the Illuminati may lay claim to it, and it may be admitted that it is of Egyptian origin. The Winged Globe is the symbol of the perfected soul making its flight back to the source of its creation in the Elysian fields beyond. [3]

6 comments:

Whine Girl said...

I've never had an itch to get a tattoo... I've thought about it after a few drinks a couple times but that's as far as it went...

Anonymous said...

Whoa...on the black background, the blue text floats and the red text sits back! It's all 3-D and confusing, man! The colors! The colors! Whoaaaaa...

Jane Doe said...

I'm itching all over for it. I keep thinking about it like crazy! Well, my first one is technically 4 tattoos and it didn't hurt at all. I am little nervous because I am told the lower back is quite sensitive and that's were I want it.

Dude, my guy friends commented "Cool, you'll have a landing strip” It took me awhile to get it. My response was "you know what they call people who pull out, right? PARENTS!"

Jane Doe said...

I was playing with the formatting option, sorry! It does make you feel a little dizzy!

Ano the Blogger said...

I was about to say, "you know I wonder why I didn't ask you what it meant when you showed me?" Because I think that's what I would normally do.

But I realized -- Maybe I was the one that asked what it meant? I forget though lol.

Thats a neat symbol, thanks for the description!

Vanessa said...

Jordan - When you come down to CA we could get you liquored up and tattooed. It will be a trip to remember FOREVER :)

Cindy - I changed the font so it is easier on the eye balls.

James - You were one of the people who asked and I felt retarded that I forgot. I was like "earth to Kitty, you should so know this if you are going to get this on your body.”