Tuesday, March 20, 2007

It STARTED off so easy . . .

I love birthdays! It such a special time to honor that person and thank their parents for not watching TV that night they were conceived. My roomie’s b-day is just around the corner and I was torn between what to get him. And when I get in this mind frame and can’t decide I just buy it all, so before this gets super expensive I better ask if there’s anything he wants for his b-day. I was thinking he’d want that spa day we have been talking about, the XBox 360, or that leather sport coat jacket I fell in love with and he could use it when he bounces at the night club, or something like a nice cologne. Nope, he comes back with “a clip board” as his response. “You know the ones with compartment to put stuff in.” I was like “What?... a clip board” He said he saw someone at his work with one and could totally use it. He’s a personal trainer and I agree it would come in handy. So I thought that’s easy, I’ll do a search on Staples.com and OfficeDepot.com and see what my options are. Who would’ve thought there would be so many options? There’s some made of pressed wood, plastic, aluminum, some with funky colors like green or pink, some with a side handle and the options are endless. Arrgg! I think I am going to print them all out and have him choose. I feel a little weird saying, here look through all these and let me know which one you like. Cindy said she thought this was HILARIOUS. It’s like when her judge asked her what she wanted for her bday and she didn't want to trouble him or cost him too much so she told him "bookends." He ended getting her these 2 marble lions that are the replicas of the one outside a museum in NY. And another year, she told him corkscrew, thinking THAT's damn easy and cheap, and he gave her a complicated expensive set that came with wine guides, foil cutter, and this intricately handled mechanical bottle opener.

6 comments:

Jane Doe said...

Cindy, I bet you love the fact that you can now say “you should blog this!”

Anonymous said...

I do! I so do!! =D

But on the topic of your post, it's scary giving gift suggestions to really generous people like you and my judge! Somehow I still end up feeling like I took advantage, but not knowing where I went wrong. I mean, "clipboard," "bookends," "corkscrew." They all seemed easy enough! My marble lions are from The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY. They must've cost him a paw and a tail!

Jane Doe said...

You shouldn't feel like you guilty or like you somehow took advantage of the situation. It's you b-day and he is celebrating your life!Your judge seems like a cool guy and that was a thoughtful gift! That reminds me, what did everyone say about there x-mas gifts? Those were cool name mugs.

Anonymous said...

My bailiff took his mug home, and he wanted to read everyone else's acronyms. My reporter's mug is here at work and she finally threw her old broken mug away. My judge tooks his home, too, and make some joking snide remark about how everyone's mugs are negative and I probably have a glowing acronym on mine. But I showed him mine (now here at work) and nope, mine's all bad, too! :) How'd your niece like her mug?

Anonymous said...

More koinkidinking: You know how we were talking about those mugs yesterday? Today my bailiff brings in his mug from home and says, "Look what I have!" He's decided to use it as his work mug, so now there are 3 mugs here. My judge said his mug has mint girl scout cookie crumbs on it at home. I didn't bring it up to my staff, it just came up! Neato, huh?

Jane Doe said...

That is neato! My two nieces received shirts with there names on it. The oldest thought it was the coolest thing ever, because her name is so rare and my little niece wore it two days in a row. Aww! The boys got mugs for x-mas with candy and AMC gift certificate in them. They loved them and Paul baked me cookies.