Friday, September 18, 2009

Silencing the fat girl in me

My oldest sister always talks about the fat girl in her that is trying to come out. The fat girl is the one that tells you to go back to sleep when you are waking up early to work out, or the voice in you tempting you to stuff your face, etc.

I have a fat girl inside of me and for most of this past year she has been successful coming out. Around mother's day I signed up for for a 1/2 marathon to motivate me to slim down. It didn't do it's magic. End of July I joined this weight loss competition at work and it was just what I needed to silence the screaming fat beast that was inside of me.

Yesterday was the final weigh in of the 2-month weight loss competition. The past two weeks I must admit I was less motivated, but still made it to the gym and watching what i was eating. I recall talking to my sister on Friday before going in and complaining that I was tired but because of this competition I was going to the gym on a Friday night. Although I was complaining, I was happy that it was motivating me not to go home and be lazy.

Here are the weigh in results:
KT: GAINED 5 lbs (+2.8%)
MR: Lost 0.5 lbs (-0.4%)
DE: Lost 3 lbs (-1.7%)
AZ: GAINED 3 lbs (+1.5%)
JC: GAINED 5 lbs (+2.9%)
TS: Stayed the same
and me... Lost 2 lbs (-1.8%)

Wow... I BARELY won this past weigh-in. According to the spreadsheet I lost 10.2% of my body weight, but I think their calculations are wrong. When I did the math it was 9.63%, but either way I did win by a long shot because the next person had lost 4.2% of their body weight. I was shocked that so many people gained weight and one guy left the competition (with out paying any Chunky Monkey $$). Nonetheless, I won $240.00. Now I just need to go collect.

To keep me going, I signed up for the Boot Camp Challenge which is next Saturday and have my half marathon October 11th.

3 comments:

cindy said...

gosh. darn. you mean the one weekend I'd planned to be in Florida is the weekend of the Boot Camp Challenge? What bad luck. Poo.

I've always thought of myself as a tiny skinny girl trapped inside all my body fat, and she'd scream, but she's muffled by fat rolls and the fat girl is on the outside, therefore louder, and that's why I have fat rolls and am lazy. Somewhere in here is a perfect body, and it's wrapped up in lots of fat so it doesn't get scratched. Or something.

Vanessa said...

Haha... very funny! Even if you were going to FL, I am sure I couldn't convince you to do it again.

Cindy you are SO NOT fat! Not even chunky or chubby!!! You always look fit, with tones legs (that I would die for btw) and look good in any outfit you put on. But I know what you mean about "feeling" fat, it's a girl thing that is just part of the way we think no matter what.

cindy said...

I have pockets of fat. :( As comedian Margaret Cho would say, "I know I'm not FAT, but I have fat PARTS." inner thighs, lower abdomen, backs of upper arms...