Thursday, June 21, 2007

Right on Par!

The final week of my boss’ employment here at my work is just around the corner and I am so sad to see him go. I found out he was retiring about 9 months ago and the information went public in January. I kept talking about it as if it was SO far away and now it has slowly crept up on me.

I contact our HR department to see what we normally do for a retirees, and there is not a set policy or procedure, so I was let loose to do what ever I wanted. I notified all the department and a lot of them had individual dinners/lunches and some even schedule a round of golf with him.

I have never planned a retirement party and didn’t know where to start. My boss has been with the company since 1985 and I am sure he has tons of co-workers that want to say good-bye and wish him well. I decided to I keep it to just our floor for a lunch on his final day because inviting all 4 building and 3K employee might be a little out of our budget.

The lunch menu is classic chicken enchiladas, with shredded lettuce, sour cream, and fresh pico de gallo salsa as the main course. It will be accompanied with authentic Spanish rice, black beans, Southwest salad and chip and salsa.

As far as gifts go….what do you get a man that has everything? I took up a collection and came up with $500. Alright! I am going to get him a gift certificate from Roger Dunn Golf Shop since he goes there at least twice a month for lunch and I hear he goes there on the weekends with his son.

This “Hole in One” goodies basket will have the gift certificate taped on it.

The description said it was for “the golf enthusiasts” and that he is! It’s stylish and sturdy newspaper and magazine rack filled with honey mustard pretzels, sesame crackers, chipotle almonds, cabernet black pepper cheese spread, cashew crunch, coffee, waffle cookies, sesame breadsticks, vanilla tea, Mulligan's gourmet peanuts, cashew and peanut roca butter crunch toffee, two Guy Buffet golfers coffee mugs, matching coasters and more.




In addition, I got him a HUGE card that has a cute little mouse peeking out of a HUGE shoe saying “Congratulation on your retirement!” and in the inside “you’re leaving some VERY BIG shoes to fill.” I thought that would be a good for people to write their heart out.

I also got him this signature, frame card. Everyone just signs their name and his picture goes in the middle. He just had public relations pictures taken, too, so I have great shots to choose from.

Then, I got him this.

A golfer plaque had crafted with his business cards!


So how do you think I did? I hope he LOVES it!


Oh.... how could I forget? This is what I got him from me... or something that looks similar.

A "TIME MAGAZINE: MAN OF THE YEAR" mirror. So when ever he looks into it, he is declared man of the year!





5 comments:

Ano the Blogger said...

Hey I remember when you were telling me about all that stuff! Cool the business card golf trophy is a neat idea!

I was curious what all this stuff you got for him looked like. Now I know! Nice!

James said...

The business card statue is really cool. I haven't seen that before.

Jane Doe said...

So I did good???? THANKS! I need the boost in confidence!!! I was worried a little...ok...a lot!

Anonymous said...

Hey that was nice of you to put that all together! =o)
You did very well and I am sure he loved it and was happy to see how much everyone cared for hime =o)

Jane Doe said...

I am not giving it to him until next Friday, so I willl let you know what he thinks! Well... I guess he will not say, "What were you thinking?!?!" So you are right...he will LOVE IT!