Monday, March 10, 2008

Racking my brain

My head is spinning and is constantly thinking of school. I am getting excited about graduating from junior college, have accepted the fact that I will have to stay there for a year afterwards to complete classes for my major, and am looking to the future.

Ever since I was a lil kid, I remember wanting to be a doctor. I took my mom's scrub shirt, lab coat and stethoscope to school on career day. In high school that is all I wrote about and even visited some of the schools I wanted to attend.
For some time, I wanted to be an OB/GYN, but after a lot of consideration and exposure to the field, I changed my mind. Now, I am set on being either large animal or marine veterinarian. I have raised and cared for livestock, so I know I enjoy large animal care, but also love the ocean and think I might enjoy caring for marine life, as well. I can't believe it, in a year I will be applying to transfer. A part of me is kicking myself for taking such a long break from school and a part of me is telling myself to stop looking back and just look forward!
Here are the schools I am considering for my BA in biology/animal science:

Cal Poly Pomona, Southern Cali

University of AZ, Phoenix, AZ


For my PhD, these are the schools I am looking at:

Western University, Southern Cali

UC Davis, Northern Cali

All these school have one thing in common, I have to have "experience" with a minimum of 500 hours (or was it 250). I think it was either Cal Poly Pomona or UC Davis that said minimum was 250 to be, keyword, considered! But the next sentence stated that the average applicant has 5,000 hours. YIKES!
Once I get back from my trip to NY, I will be calling up some places to start volunteering. I really want to volunteer at the Pacific Marine Mammal Center! It's a minimum requirement of 4 hours per week for the first year. I am going to have to make some sacrifices with my time, but well worth it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

whoaaaaaa...

Great goals, good luck! I'm looking forward to meeting Dr. Vanessa in the (near) future!

Jane Doe said...

Thanks! I must look at schools, requirements, my school schedule at least once a day. I calculated it will take 6-7 years, but well worth it. And when I look at the big picture, it not that many years.

Anonymous said...

That's awesome...good luck to you.

Jane Doe said...

Thanks so much! I am nervous as hell, though. So much to plan for and think in advance about. Makes you start thinking about planning your whole future or at least the next 10 years. AH!

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! Well... all the schools sound great and it just depends on where you will be living in the future. If AZ then the University of AZ then for your PHd go to CO. That sounds like a great plan. You kmnow... it is much cheaper in AZ n I know the extra $$$ could help out. But Cal Poly Pomona is, i know, a huge dream for you. So... I ono what to say but that life is crazy and it has its turns and twist. The bestthing is to be HAPPY and go where your heart TRULY is saying to go :) Love ya! and I am so proud of you! :)