Friday, May 9, 2008

Bertha is leaving the building

My oldest sister and her friends are workout-aholics. They joke about keeping Bertha trapped and not letting her loose. Bertha is what they refer to as the fat person living inside them that wants to come out. And I think I have one living inside me, too!

What I love about these girls is that they are rough and tuff! A typical girl will say “oh, I’m fat!” and my sister’s friends will respond with “we’re all fat, get over it!” Most girls would have said something like “no your not!”… “You don’t look like you gained weight” etc, etc. I think I am going to adopt that attiude and pull the reigns on my Bertha.

Since last year, a lot has gone on in my life, a break up (weight loss), moving (weight loss), started going out dancing (weight loss), stared going to school full time (weight gain), met Jay (in the beginning it was weight loss) and fell in love (weight GAIN), got a leg injure that brought my running and most of my cardio workouts to a haul (weight GAIN) and I got down about a lot of stuff (Major weight GAIN). It was a recipe for a weight lost spike and then a HUGE weight gain period. Honestly, I have gained 28 pounds. *sad face* Now some might be muscles because we were dancing a lot and toning those legs and there was boot camp workouts, but that was sometime ago and I have to face it that a lot of it is nasty word… F-A-T! And clothes are fitting tight or not at all.

So to keep Bertha trapped in a skinny cage, I’m going on a diet. Actually, I am already on it. I went on it back in 2001ish and lost over 50lbs.

It’s VERY sad to say when I went on it back then I was super over weight! I was about 20 years old and was at my heaviest weight. I don’t know exactly how much I weighed, but I know it was over 200lbs. Granted I am a tall gal, so it hides and distributes well. I am guessing that I was probably 220 or even 230ish, but after I hit the 200 mark I never weighted myself again. There were two breaking points that got me to lose weight. One was I had to get a larger size pants… 16! I was complaining about it to my Mom and she remarked that she wore that size. Now at 20 years old who wants to be the same (bigger) size of their Mom? Not me! The second breaking point was being at work and climbing a flight of stairs and being TOTALLY out of breath. I was so out of breath that I had to take a breather. This was pathetic! So I went on Atkins. Now many think it’s a meat and cheese diet and there are cases of people who stay on the introduction period too long and are hospitalized, but I was smart about it and made sure not to be one of those people. I read the book, made sure to eat fiber and stuck with lean meats, drank water, followed the other recommendation in the book and exercised.

I’ve decided to go on it again. My workout routine consists of a couple times a week during lunch, so I thought I would change my eating habits first and slowly up my workout schedule to lose those 28 lbs I gained in the last year.

I started Monday. Wish me good luck and say good-bye to Bertha!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All right, "I'm fat, too! We're ALL fat, let's get over it!" When I heard your sis's friend (at boot camp) say that, I was floored and had to blog about how ingenious that was.

Personally, I'd rather not get over being fat; I'd rather take control and not BE fat. But I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I say, "Okay, I'm not fat anymore." I will always think I still have more fat to lose.

That being said, I wouldn't mind being my mom's size. We were getting measured at the seamstress's shop during the week and my mom bitched about being fat and having gained a pound this week. I asked how much she weighs now and she sighed, "106." Argh!

Jane Doe said...

I want to get over being "fat" and maintain and tone. I'm glad that I finally took control of it and feel so much better. I was getting really down about it and letting it control my mode, which is not good. But I feel more up beat and happy and of course will be even happier when those 28 extra lbs are gone. My niece was telling me this weekend that she bumped into a picture of me when I had a "6-pack" but in reality it was more like a 4 pack. That's back in the day when I used to do 100 push ups, sit up and 8-count body builders (i think that's what it is called) every night, was swiming 5-6 days a week, practicing martial arts 5 days a week, had a person trainer session 2-3 a week and probably worked out on my own too. I was a machine.

Jane Doe said...

It's been 1 week and I have lost 5lbs. YAY! Only 23 lbs more to go. At this rate I will hit my goal in 5 more weeks. Hello OLD ME!

Anonymous said...

holy crap! I wish I could lost 5 lbs in just a week! But then again I'm not doing much about it either. =P

Vanessa said...

I want to keep that up, so next week (after my chem final) I will bump up my exercising routine. Heck, I might start doing push ups and sits up (maybe start off with 50, unstead of 100) before I go to bed. I duuno.. all I know is I don't want to plateau and am enjoying things fitting more comfortably. It's amazing what a difference 5lbs makes.