Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Inspired thru my fears of being injuried

Yesterday I was supposed to run 3 miles, but after sleeping in, going to class in the evening and then staying up late working on research work I failed to squeeze in running. I was going to run it another day and take 2 consecutive "rest" days, but Jay insisted that I double up today. I've been maintaining my workout schedule and thought why not. I did my 4 mile run before class in 40:12, then when I got out of class I did my 3 miles that were due.

Now, during my last mile of my earlier run Jay had come in to the garage where I was running on the treadmill. He cheered me on and of course motivated me to step it up a notch. He said that I was playing it safe with my time. I thought about it. Maybe I was. I have been training to just get the distance down and only run for time once a week. You see, I had been training for a marathon back in 2007. I did too much too soon and got stress fractures up and down my lower legs. It was so bad that my doctor gave me a bone growth stimulator that I had to put on every night for 30 mins and told me I had to take a year off from running to help my bones heal. That is some serious stuff. Plus, during a run a few months before that incident my ankles had swollen up and were all BRUISED. It hurt to walk. The podiatrist had said I needed custom sport orthodics, which I got and he recommended that I get proper running shoes (which the running store I had got my shoes at had recommended the wrong ones).

So the truth is, yes I am apprehensive about training a little hard at times because of my past injuries. It seems like when I go passed a certain point my shins begin to hurt and sometimes for a week or two while I am just walking. And I really, really, really want to accomplish this running goal of mine.

So with that all said and done... last night I took my loves advice to heart and pushed myself. I tested myself to see if I was playing it safe and if my legs were stronger now. As Jay said earlier I might have more gas in the tank. I dedicated my 2nd run of the day to him and push hard. My slowest pace was 10:40 and fastest was 8:34 and I ran for the most part at a 6.3 setting which I think is a 9:31 pace.

And tah dah... I beat my last time by about 2 mins. My right shin did hurt, but I'm not out of commission. I felt very proud. Now if only I could keep up this pace for the entire race. :) Only training and time will tell.

No comments: