Thursday, July 23, 2009

Little bit of this and a little bit of that

Where has July gone? It started off with a bang and I've been super busy the entire month that it shocked me when I wrote today's date down. July has been filled with family and friends, b-day celebrations, our 2nd official over night guest, house improvements, and great times with my love.

I'll post later about this past week where BOTH my out-of-state sister were in town and our mini family reunion at the beach.

This past weekend Jay and I headed down San Diego to check out the BodyWorlds 2 & the Brain exhibit at the San Diego Natural History Museum. I've been to BodyWorlds before, I think #3 it was. Some of the exhibits were the same like the embryos and vessel configuration, but this one had animals too. It was super neat to see the human body sliced up. I checked out body parts where I knew family members or I had surgery. Jay was surprised that he didn't toss his cookies. Since we were in San Diego we eat at one of Jay's favorite pizza places Filippi's Pizza Grotto. It was a old school pizza place, where the front was a Italian store and the back was for dinning in. The place was pack and for a good reason too. Because the food is DELICIOUS!!! I had a pineapple and bell pepper and Jay had a Parmesan chicken sandwich. My mouth is watering still!

We took the opportunity to stop by his niece and boyfriend's home too where I was greets by their 3 kitties (Spree, Motzy and Belly and I think they might have one more) and their lil dog, Chico. It was such a nice evening and the weather was perfect.

The next day I was of to Cal Poly Pomona for my mandatory orientation. It was an ALL day event, but at the end I was able to take my ID photo and sign up for Fall Quarter. Most of the classes I wanted were not available so I am taking a biology class with lab, and two GE classes putting me at full time status with 13 units. The only Humanities GE class that fit into my schedule was Dance in Contemporary Culture. Should be interesting. I spent the last day analyzing all my classes needed for my major, prereqs and this is what I came up with.

- It will take me approximately 9 quarters (3 years) of full time status to graduate with a BS in Biology
- In those 3 years I will be taking 13 biology courses (like zoology, botany, genetics, and microbiology) and that is not including the 28 units of electives in my major that I need to take as well, 3 General Ed classes, 4 chemistry classes (yeah a small number cuz I hate chem!), 3 physics classes and 2-3 math classes, including Calculus for Life Science.

What did I get myself into? Not only do I have to take the classes but basically get mainly A's if I want to get into vet school. Normal vet school applicants have at least a 3.75 GPA... I think I am at a 3.03 :(

2 comments:

cindy said...

I'm with Jay. I've avoided the Body Worlds exhibits cuz I don't wanna toss my cookies. Apparently he's a better sport than I.

You'll do FINE at Cal Poly! Don't worry about your transfer GPA, you get a fresh start now. :)

Jane Doe said...

Bodywolds ins't for everyone. I thought about donating my body for a very short second, but decided it's not for me.

Thanks for the vote of confidence about school. It's a huge dream of mind and I get intimadated when I think about it. But I have to try and go for it verses running and hiding like I want to do. I am in this comfort zone with work, that I am afraid of having to leave this place and focus on school.