Saturday, May 21, 2011

Decisions, decisions

So becoming a vet it is no longer "the plan." Let me start off by starting I am at peace with the decision and let me tell you why.

Originally I had wanted to join the Army, so they could pay for my schooling plus I would have a job right after I graduate from vet school. Not only that but I would not have to worry about additional training (as they would provide that) and insurance, etc. I had even though of making military life a career. I thought about retiring and being set for life with medical benefits. If I didn't get the required GPA to enter vet school (as I had worried about in previous post) Plan "B" was to get a M.S. at the vet school I wanted to go to. It is a year long program and if you get B's or better in all your classes, then you automatically get accepted into their vet program. So in my perfect world, I would be accepted into the Army, I would get accepted into the M.S. program and get B's or better and go to vet school.

But there was so math I was doing in the back of my mind. Well, besides financial budgeting. When I graduate with my B.S. I will be 31. I would graduate with my M.S. when I am 32. Vet school is a 4-year program, so I would be a whooping 36 when all is said and done. Not the end of the world, but there were a few hiccups, issues, thoughts, concerns... you get my drift.

1. There is a significant other I have to consider. Would our relationship last with me being deployed or station away? This wasn't what he signed up for when we got together. It's a lot to ask of anyone and it's not like Jay would just follow me. I understand he has Jayla to think about and can just leave his job etc.

2. What if... I change my mind and want to have kids. How would that work out? I can't have a kid right after graduating... I will be going through boot camp and being shipped off. And even if I funded school, then I would be starting a business or joining a medical group. I would have to wait at least a year to be protect under family medical leave act for job protection. Good lord... I would be having a kid at nearly 40!

3. Funding was the next thing that made the list. I had always thought I would pay for school on the government's dime. But if I didn't join the Army, then I would have to take out loans. ICK! I already have school loans and don't like thinking about having to pay them back. I can't imagine medical school loans.

4. Money while in school... so I wouldn't be able to work for 5 years if I did both the M.S. and M.D. route, which means Jay would be the only source of income for our household. Another thing he did not sign up for. Plus, it's not like I am in my late teens or early 20's living at my parent's house. I am a grown women who has bills, mortgage, etc. I don't come from a rich family and can live of a trust fund. I am just regular me... no scholarships, lotto $, or family royalties to bank on.

So Jay and I came to a pretty good compromise. He is helping out A LOT while I am getting my B.S. Since I am about a year away from graduating, we thought I might as well finish. Right after I will sign up for an online A.S. program that requires two 9 week internships. What is the A.S. program in you ask? Registered Vet Tech... basically a animal nurse. I will still get to work with animals in the medical field, be able to do research, not go more into additional school debt and if Jay and I want to start a family then we can move forward with that.

I think it is a good plan. I really appreciate Jay being honest with his feelings, but not making me think that he wouldn't support my decision if I decided to go the vet school route. He was being realistic about the whole thing. We are being a flexible couple with each other's goals and dreams and I think this was us growing and learning to understand each other.

In the end I will still have a loving and wonderful guy at my side who isn't going crazy thinking about me being deployed or about piling debt and I will also get to work with animals. Win-win!

No comments: